Experienced Tampa Bay Attorneys for Heart Attack Malpractice Claims
Chadwick Law Firm serves clients with heart attack misdiagnosis claims in Tampa Bay, including Pinellas, Polk, Pasco, Hillsborough, Hernando, Manatee counties and in all western central Florida counties.
Heart Attack – Leading Cause of Death
Heart disease (myocardial infarction) is the leading cause of death of both men and women in the U.S. Nearly 600,000 people die of heart disease in the nation each year. That represents about 25% of all deaths in this country, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Each year there are more than 1.2 million new and recurrent coronary attacks in the U.S., with about one-third – or some 425,000 – resulting in death.
As many as 60,000 people each year are rushed to a
hospital emergency room with heart attack symptoms only to be sent home with assurances that they are fine – and then later diagnosed with a heart attack.
Medical Conditions Which May Lead to Heart Attack
Several conditions are common in heart attacks, though not exclusive causes:
- Close biological relatives with heart disease
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Unhealthy diet
- Physical inactivity
- Alcohol beverages
- Tobacco use
Heart Attack Symptoms
Heart attack symptoms should never be taken lightly or dismissed. Although some heart attacks occur with sudden, intense symptoms, in many cases only mild, gradual discomfort is experienced. Some heart attacks have no accompanying symptoms. The most common warning signs of a heart attack:
- Chest pain or discomfort lasting more than a few minutes, that goes away and then returns
- Pain or discomfort in the upper body, including shoulders, arms, back, jaw or neck
- Abdominal discomfort that feels like heartburn
- Shortness of breath
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sweating, like a cold sweat
- Heightened anxiety
Often more than one symptom occurs with a heart attack.
Heart Attack Symptoms May be Like Those of
Less Dangerous Medical Problems
Doctors and emergency room staff are responsible for being careful not to mistake heart attack symptoms for those of less dangerous medical problems, such as:
- Acid reflux
- Anxiety attack
- Musculoskeletal pain
Heart Attack Misdiagnosis among Women and Youth
Heart attack victims are often overlooked because they don’t fit the common profile that healthcare professionals expect. Prime examples are young people and women.
It is rare for younger people to suffer a heart attack, and apt to be bypassed for critical tests.
Doctors who consider chest pain as the primary indicator of heart attack risk may misdiagnose women’s symptoms. Less than 30% of women in a National Institutes of Health study reported having chest pain or discomfort prior to their heart attacks, and 43% reported having no chest pain during any phase of the attack.
Yet, in the U.S. 1 in 4 women dies from coronary heart disease (CHD) – the most common type of heart disease.
Why Heart Attacks MayBe Misdiagnosed
Common factors leading to heart attack misdiagnosis:
- Failure to thoroughly review medical history
- Failure to perform a thorough physical examination
- Failure to suspect heart attack in people who seem to be healthy
- Failure to consider heart attack in young patients
- Failure to consider heart attacks in women
- Failure to order necessary tests in a timely manner
- Delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis
- Failure to consult with cardiac specialists in a timely manner
- Improper reading of EKG results
- Over-reliance on EKG results
- Laboratory error
How We Can Help You
Chadwick Law Firm is committed to share the knowledge and experience of its attorneys to help an individual or family who has suffered a severe, permanent injury or death due to heart attack medical malpractice, to receive fair compensation for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future loss of wages
- Long-term disability
- Long-term care expenses
- Pain and suffering
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injury or death which you believe may have been due to the failure of medical professionals to prevent, please call us toll free any time, 877-264-1515. Chadwick Law Firm is experienced to help you, starting with a no-obligation consultation to help you determine your options.